[TriLUG] OT: Gmail Space growing interactively

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Apr 1 10:16:14 EST 2005

Kipp Spanbauer wrote:
> Gmail just posted this under the "New features". I'm currently at 1359 MBs
> and it's growing every minute!!
> **
> *G is for growth
> *Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn't mean you should
> have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we're giving
> everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to
> continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are
> able. We know that email will only become more important in people's lives,
> and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you
> can expect more.
>  Kipp

This may be opening a can of worms, but I have a dumb question:
What on earth are you going to do with 2GB of email?  I have a little
over 46k email messages that I've saved over the years that take up a
570M of space.  On average, that's about 12k per message.  Of course,
that's probably gotten bigger over the years with HTML email and such,
however with this average size, that means that you have somewhere
around 110,000 messages.  How old is your gmail account?  Maybe a year?
  That's 300 messages a day, sustained, for a year.  And doesn't gmail
automagically delete spam and/or not count it against your storage?

So I guess I'm curious, do people just never delete emails sent to their
gmail accounts?  Subscribe a bunch of mailing lists, never delete posts?
  What's the point?  I have a gmail account (or two) that I never use.
I played around with it when it was the geek thing to do, but I've
pretty much forgotten about them.

Mike, who felt like doing a little math (which I'm sure I'll get
corrected on)