[TriLUG] Multimedia stuff I'd like to do

paul ppeeler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:22:47 EDT 2005

> We've also played with kino a bit which we like.  It'll be nice to get
> the resulting AVIs turned into DVDs.  So if other folks have any
> recommendations concerning what has or hasn't worked for them (please

Kino should pretty well take care of 1 and 2, perhaps with a little
help from a PVR250.

For three, http://fuware.nanocrew.net/pymusique/ is an option, though
I am unsure as to the licensing with downloading from apple through a
non-itunes browser. http://www.codeweavers.com/ has their
implemetation of WINE that will let you run iTunes in Linux if you
don't mind using non-free software. K3B is the greatest little
cd/dvd/all-in-one app around. It can do so many things that I was a
little shocked by it. And, its free :)

And for 4, mythtv and freevo are the way to go here. With a Hauppage
PVR250 and your Linux box you can have your own PVR that will work
with your sattelite or with cable.

> stick to Linux solutions, since "go buy a Mac" is not a desirable option
> for us at this time), please post them!

indeed.