[TriLUG] USB external hard drive for Linux machine

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Apr 19 07:09:39 EDT 2005

Wesley (Xiaoyu) Zhang (xyzhang) wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am considering acquiring external USB hard drive for my home network.
>I would like to use it on both my windows machine and FC 3.0.  Anyone
>has recommendation? Any gotcha I may need to know?
>
>Thanks,
>Wesley

Both Joel and Wesley have mentioned the limitations of filesystems,
which is an interesting problem to consider.  In my opinion, Fat32 is
the best choice for most situations, especially if you're storing lots
of large files (ala backups).  If you're storing lots of small files,
and you're less concerned about swapping between OSes with the drive, it
may behoove you to go with two filesystems.

Having said that, you can pick up an external USB enclosure for a 3.5"
hard drive at Intrex for $37.99, or one that does Firewire as well for
$39.99.  I've used both of these enclosures extensively, and they work
much like the one Joe Mack was describing.  They snap together around
the drive, and can be opened back up with a screwdriver and a modicum of
effort.  They also have an interestingly-portable (read: much smaller,
USB-powered) enclosure for 2.5" drives, that looks nice and is $19.99,
but I have no experience with it.

Aaron S. Joyner