[TriLUG] Wiki/CMS Recommendations?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:49:32 EDT 2005

Ok, well I have been evaluating various apps' options for the forensic LUG
that I started. I am not too keen on the wiki aspect, but CMS wise I have
been schooled a bit.

In fact, two of them are there now. You can check out Mambo at

www.forensiclug.org <http://www.forensiclug.org>

and you can check out Wordpress at
www.forensiclug.org/testwp<http://www.forensiclug.org/testwp>

Also wordpress is at www.lugatucf.com <http://www.lugatucf.com> and they
really like it.

I tried Plone a while back (plone.org <http://plone.org>), and got all
excited about it since it is pretty (but hell aren't they all these days ?).
However my hosting provider and I 'came to the realization' that plone would
not be good for us, since we have a shared (read el cheapo) hosting plan. :)
Apparrently plone is resource-intensive enough for you to have to have a
dedicated server, also there are some known apache version issues, but in
your case I assume it is your local box so that's probably not a problem as
it was for us. However, in my not so humble opinon, it still might be too
much for what you want, unless you are implementing it for an enormous group
it just seems like overkill. (Plone runs NATO and AARP's websites, for
example.)

I also tried PHP/Postnuke and Phplist as well as a locally developed php
application. All three of them had great benefits but the effort/ROI ratio
was just too great for me.

Mambo was good, and came close to what we wanted, but still had some script
errors that were a pain to debug. So wordpress is lighter, nimbler, and has
far less overhead, which is what I want. If I were implementing an enormous
site with zillions of features, content/subscriptions/email
notifications/regular newsletters, etc. -- then I might choose differrently.
I was interested in Moveable Type at one point, but after reading the
wordpress site I have lost interest in anything other than WP.

Hope that helps - one man's opinion only.

Marc