[TriLUG] Hotel style wireless

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed May 4 10:57:16 EDT 2005

I'm sure there are ways to do this directly on the wireless devices, but
when I've set this up for corporations I've done it at the firewall. All
folks wanting to use the internet for basic services had to login to an
authentication page. After that they had free or restricted use based on
their login.

The firewall passed out the requests to a server cluster using Squid in
"active" mode. Squid checked that the user was authorized and if not
authorized displayed a local web page that asked the user to login.

This worked quite well. I used a standalone password database and
several stock users like: Library, Admin, Service, Peon, etc.... Some
individual users were also in the database (mainly for tracking
purposes). I believe there is now a module that allows Squid to
authenticate users against an Active Directory.

In anycase, that's one easy way to force users to login - or to see
local Marketing (and replace web site ads with your own advertising).

Jon