[TriLUG] laptop and external monitor resolution

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Wed May 4 14:12:03 EDT 2005

Hi,
  I've done the google-dance, and I just can't seem to find an answer
to my current problem.

  My laptop's LCD has a resolution of 1920x1200 and when I connect
an external monitor, it works, but puts the full display in a
viewport (I think I'm understanding this correctly) where 320px
are not visible until I move my mouse to that side of the screen
to reposition the viewport.  So, I figured I could work around
this particular annoyance by adding a 1600x1200 mode in my xorg.conf,
but when I do that, it causes an even more useless effect of
changing the resolution of the viewport...

  Can anyone share some xorg.conf config expertise to help me
use my external monitor at 1600x1200 (without any trace of the
viewport silliness...)?  I'm sure I could do this with an
alternate ServerLayout, but I'm hoping there's a way to do
this a bit more transparently.  In case it matters, I'm
using FC3 on a Dell 9200.

Thanks!
	Brent