[TriLUG] Phone using computer (was: OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed May 4 19:30:38 EDT 2005

Scott G. Hall wrote:

> That reminds me of a project I wanted to accomplish...
>
> What Linux utility (and set of steps) do others on this list use to place
> phone calls through their computer? ...

Well, it's possible to setup Asterisk (with kphone / gnomemeeting /
whatever) to do this, if your modem happens to be of the appropriate
chipset (unlikely).  Otherwise, it's a hardware-dependent function as to
how you talk to the voice modem aspects of your modem.  You *might* be
able to have some luck with something based off the vgetty project, but
that project (and it's subsequent derivatives) are focused towards
answering machines, and I don't have any personal experience trying to
bend the rules with vgetty.  Let us know if you find anything that suits
your needs well.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner