[TriLUG] Re: Phone to use with PC

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu May 5 21:45:14 EDT 2005

I think you misinterpret my response.  I too am an electrical engineer
besides a computer engineer, and I understand this a lot more than I
described.  The purpose of my simplified description was to prevent
others from suggesting solutions that are out of scope from what I am
looking for.

Also please note -- forget any hardware modifications!  My modem already
has the capabilities (as do a lot of current modems), as I already have
software that does what I want in the MS-Windows world.  What I want is
to replace that software with an all-Linux solution.

On 5-5-05 EDT, sjackson at radarfind.com wrote:
> Scott
>
> Actually, as a long time ham and hardware guy (30+ years), I know exactly
> what you want.
>
> Trouble is, the hardware you have doesn't get you where you want, without
> some work.  While you are correct that the modem has the needed circuitry,
> that circuitry isn't wired to provide the functionality you ask for.  For
> example, you wrote:
>
> "I want to use the same headphones I listen to music from the PC as my
> earpieces, and the microphone over the monitor as the mouthpiece"

P.S.  I used to work on the Lucent Bell Labs Conversant team that had
special hardware "tip-ring" boards used for the Conversant IVR (Interactive
Voice Response -- those "dial blah for sales, ..." audio menu applications)
and the Intuity Audix voice mail system.  What I thought was great in 1995
was that our DSP's were so good that we could detect and generate fax GNC
tones, and accept user spoken vocal or DTMF response while playing back
audio segments.  In other words, our voice-mail boards could double duty
by emulating modems and faxes.

In this application I am talking of, it is purely using the simple modem
board in my machine.  Like I said, it already works; I just want it to
work in a different operating system.  And I know that there are folks
in the area who have run into this as a hobby before.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA