[TriLUG] PHP

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Sat May 7 13:21:27 EDT 2005

I agree with Dave's idea to at least examine both.

If you give a serious look to each platform, you're setting them up to
be able to explain both platforms objectively to folks down the road.
Objectiveness is a positive as a consultant, at least they'll have been
exposed to both and have some hopefully positive/negative perspective
for each.

Personally, for the few clients I've had, I've helped setup a Postnuke
CMS and a Plone website.
If you choose php, you SHOULD also integrate some sort of RDBMS into the
curriculum as php is a bit useless without one, be it MySQL, Oracle, or
MSSQL.

As far as books go, I really like my "PHP and MySQL Web Developement"
third edition.
If you use MySQL as the RDBMS, then use Paul Dubois' MySQL 2nd
edition.   Both from www.developer-library.com...

I have a fairly dated VB6 book, so I have no comment there.