[TriLUG] Linux on Alpha...

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Sat May 14 11:47:34 EDT 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 10:42:39AM -0500, Michael Sh wrote:

> (snip)

> and a DEC Multia UDB (sort of an early version of a micro-box)...
> but the others will be set up as practical linux boxes.

I don't know how much practical use you'll be able to get out of the Multia.
I had one for a couple weeks and was able to successfully install Debian on
it, but it was pretty slow.  I suppose it might make a decent X-Terminal.

> I've been looking at "Alpha-Linux" and Debian/GNU Linux's Alpha port.  Is
> there anyone on the list running either or another distribution on an
> Alpha that could give me a few pointers or caveats?

The easiest way to get Debian on that Multia is, if memory serves, going to
be to make a boot and root floppy for it and then install from the network.
If the other machines have CD-ROMs, that might go a tad easier.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5