[TriLUG] Linux on Alpha...

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Sat May 14 15:11:18 EDT 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 10:42:39AM -0500, Michael Sh wrote:
>  Is there anyone on the list running either or another distribution
>  on an Alpha that could give me a few pointers or caveats?

I've ran both Debian and Alpha Core (a port of Fedora Core) on one of my Alphas, a Compaq XP1000. Debian ran ok, but I could never get a 2.6 kernel running on it. I tried a couple different binary images from Debian testing and unstable, as well as rolling my own vanilla korg kernel. They always paniced.

Alpha Core (.9 something) on the other hand worked incredibly well. The Alpha Core project has just had a burst of activity as well, with 1.0 released (based on Fedora Core 3, I believe). More information on Alpha Core is available at http://alphacore.info.

On the non-Linux side, I run OpenBSD on a couple of Alphas as well which I have no complaints about. NetBSD also ran well.

--
David Aquilina
david at starkindler.us