[TriLUG] Laptop and L.A.M.P.

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat May 14 14:17:53 EDT 2005

As a matter of fact, it's possible to run X on a box of these specs and
have it run fine.  I used to run Red Hat 6.x on a Sony Vaio with a 2.1 Gb
disk, Pentium II (mobile) 233, and 64 Meg of RAM, with X and
enlightenment+Gnome (at the time considered the biggest resource hog
around) and it still felt faster than Windows.

That said, of course, those who are used to newer hardware will find this
combination slow now.  I have the same laptop running Red Hat 9, and there
is a marked performance drop off (upgraded the HDD to 6.4 Gb as the old
one was failing).  I'd like to try Gentoo on it as I think it's the RH9
deps that slow the thing down.

You might try a laptop of this vintage (perhaps even the same model--Sony
PCG-505GX
http://search.ebay.com/PCG-505GX_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZPCG-505GX).
Linux runs on it well (at least Red Hat 6.x, 7.x, and 9), sound card is
supported (old onboard soundblaster), hibernate-to-disk works out of the
box (although if you upgrade the hard disk (you should), you'll need
elphdisk to create the suspend partition (I can help with that).

The other benefit of this particular laptop is its size--3 lbs and less
than 1" thick.  Nice if you want to take it places without developing a
case of compressed vertebrae :)

William