[TriLUG] next wrt54G issue

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Mon May 16 22:07:51 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:55:53PM -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> I managed to get my rev. 3 WRT to go into boot_wait mode but when I
> tried to upload the firmware via tftp I kept getting "password
> failed" errors.   Has anyone else seen this behavior?  I followed the
> openwrt instructions, assigned a valid IP to the WAN port, set the
> boot_wait, set a secondary interface on my linux box (to 192.168.1.2)
> and attempted to tftp.   The odd thing is I could ping the WRT on
> 192.168.1.1.  Ugh.  I must be missing something.  I'm so freaking
> tired after a LONG day at work all I can think about right now is sleep.

You're getting there too late.  The boot_wait tftp server is only listening for
a few seconds after bootup of the WRT.

I've found that starting the tftp program sending and then plugging in the WRT
works well.  You'll need a tftp client that will retry continuously, and the
atftp recommended on the openwrt.org site works well.

--Brian

--
I think my life is fuller because I realize
that I don't know what I'm doing.

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net