[TriLUG] E-Mail Virus Scanners

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue May 17 13:56:36 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 12:51 pm, Brian Henning said:
> Woops.  As most of you probably already figured out, that should have
> said *server-side* e-mail virus scanners.
> ~B
>
> Brian Henning wrote:
>> ...as in, what's people's favorites?
>>
>> We of course have per-workstation AV software installed, but I've
>> been
>> lately seeing a flood of viral e-mail, and would like to be more
>> proactive at nipping that stuff before it reaches our users.
>>
>> The setup so far is sendmail and procmail, but I'm not necessarily
>> married to that..  although it's a production system, so
>> learning-curve
>> and downtime for changeover is something to be avoided.
>>
>> TIA for the input!
>>
>> ~Brian

If you are already familiar with Sendmail, then look at Mimedefang &
ClamAV.  Mimedefang will call Clamav, but will also do other checks as
well such as attachment filtering and mime encoding checks.
Mimedefang also integrates with SpamAssassin as well.  I have this
setup running in a couple of production environments.

Mimedefang is pretty straight forward to setup as well as ClamAV,
although you need to change Clamav to run as the same user as
Mimedefang  other than that, you down time should be very miminal, As
you only have to add one line to your sendmail config to get the
mimedefang milter called.

www.mimedefang.org

Matt