[TriLUG] OT: Remote Reboot Power strip

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue May 24 09:20:01 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 7:48 pm, Jon Carnes said:
> Hola TriLUG-gers,
>
> I've got some remote equipment that locks up on occasion. Some really
> wonderful contractors built the cluster for me on the cheap using used
> computers (and I got what I paid for).
>
> I'm not terribly worried about each individual piece but it is a pain
> in
> the tuckus to run out and reboot one of the cluster when it locks.
> Thus
> the subject of this off-topic missive: Remote Reboot Power Strips.
>
> Anyone have some nice recommendations. I was looking at something like
> the Baytech Remote Power RS/232 Switch (~$250). Not as sexy as one
> that
> has built-in Ethernet - but definitely cheaper. Plus I have lots of
> nice
> robust Linux servers out at the same location with serial ports to
> spare...
>
> Any on-topic comments on this off-topic subject are welcome. Let *me*
> learn from *your* mistakes!
>
> Jon Carnes

I haven't looked at the price difference between serial only and
ethernet versions, but haven't you (by your own admission) already
been burned by going down the cheap road?  I'm not saying you should
invest in more than you need, but I find the cost difference over the
life of equiment is usually justified when buying exactly what you
want/need instead of settling.  It's always more expensive to do it
right the second time :)

Matt