[TriLUG] OT: Remote Reboot Power strip

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed May 25 22:56:00 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:20, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 7:48 pm, Jon Carnes said:
> > Hola TriLUG-gers,
> >
> > I've got some remote equipment that locks up on occasion. Some really
> > wonderful contractors built the cluster for me on the cheap using used
> > computers (and I got what I paid for).
> >
> > I'm not terribly worried about each individual piece but it is a pain
> > in
> > the tuckus to run out and reboot one of the cluster when it locks.
> > Thus
> > the subject of this off-topic missive: Remote Reboot Power Strips.
> >
> > Anyone have some nice recommendations. I was looking at something like
> > the Baytech Remote Power RS/232 Switch (~$250). Not as sexy as one
> > that
> > has built-in Ethernet - but definitely cheaper. Plus I have lots of
> > nice
> > robust Linux servers out at the same location with serial ports to
> > spare...
> >
> > Any on-topic comments on this off-topic subject are welcome. Let *me*
> > learn from *your* mistakes!
> >
> > Jon Carnes
>
> I haven't looked at the price difference between serial only and
> ethernet versions, but haven't you (by your own admission) already
> been burned by going down the cheap road?  I'm not saying you should
> invest in more than you need, but I find the cost difference over the
> life of equiment is usually justified when buying exactly what you
> want/need instead of settling.  It's always more expensive to do it
> right the second time :)
>

> Matt

Ahhh, you would think so. But when you are a start-up a savings of $12k
that can be corrected by a further $500 purchase...:-)  Well, that makes
sense to me.

We went with Aaron's suggestion (that boy is just too dang smart!),
bought a nice top of the line APC unit off ebay (never been opened) for
just $250. Hope it's not stolen...;-)

Jon