Cingular MediaNet (was Re: [TriLUG] Wireless Broadband)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:29:37 EDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Aaron Bockover <abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net> wrote:
> Kill-all-the-telcos!!
> It'll be great to see it when it does come though.
>
> Best,
> Aaron

My wife and I recently switched our mobiles to Cingular.  Although I
rarely used "internet" access on my old ATT phone, I'd like to be able
to send the occasional e-mail etc from my phone.  Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to make this work, either from my phone (A
Sony-Ericsson Z500a which supports GPRS edge) or from hers (which is
some Nokia model).

I've been over this with Cingular phone support and the last guy told
me that there was an "outage."  A trip up to Connecticut a couple of
weeks ago indicated that this "outage" seemed to cover the entire
eastern seaboard.

Are any Tri-luggers using Cingular medianet?  If so care to share your
experiences either on or off-list?

If this isn't working, another question. Is there some way to allow a
computer at home to receive SMS text messages?  I would assume that
this would need some kind of proxy service to get a "phone number." I
did some googling around, but I don't think I know the magic search
words if such a thing exists.