Cingular MediaNet (was Re: [TriLUG] Wireless Broadband)

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 7 10:06:51 EDT 2005

> If this isn't working, another question. Is there some
> way to allow a computer at home to receive SMS text messages?

When I worked at (Sony) Ericsson, we used to send an email from
a PC to a phone (using 919xxxxxxx at bellsouth.net as the address).
Their SMS server would assign a temporary phone number to the
sender's email address so the phone user could "reply" to the
message.  From that point on, that temporary phone number could
be used by anybody to send an SMS to the PC.  We called Cingular
support and they said that these temporary phone numbers were
flushed from their system periodically (I think they claimed
every two weeks), but in practice, I never saw a temporary phone
number get flushed.

CDMA systems like Verizon and Sprint allow you to enter an email
address in the recipient field of an SMS, and the SMS server
handles it.  GSM-based systems may have evolved since I used
them.

Alan

.