[TriLUG] Wireless Broadband

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:03:36 EDT 2005

On a somewhat related note, I finally got OpenWRT working in WET
(wireless bridge mode).  Not too terribly difficult, though the
instructions is are a bit off.

Here's how you do it (both units must be infrastructure mode, btw):

Put access point(router/whatever) A in AP mode:

Put access point B in WET mode (nvram set wl0_mode=wet nvram commit
wifi down wifi up) and make sure that your WET box has the same SSID
(and wep settings, if they exist on A. Point "A").

You can even turn off SSID broadcasting on AP "A" and it still works.
With the coolness of OpenWRT you can then restrict by MAC address and
throw something over the line like IPSec VPN to encrypt everything
between the AP.  You can do scads of other cool stuff too.

OpenWRT is a good solution for point-to-point or point-to-many-point
links.  In the grand scheme of things I can see putting up a wireless
backup network on a multi-building small campus with these buggars,
perhaps on a /28 network or something.  Maybe smaller, I dunno, would
depend on the requirements.

I wonder if these things do BGP, OSPF, and the like... hum.. when I
get some free time when all my projects calm down I just might try to
find that out.

Greg