[TriLUG] Was Return of BZFlag - Now ICMP

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Thu Jun 9 12:25:48 EDT 2005

Anyone know if there is a Linux equivalent of Cisco CAR to control ICMP
abuses?
I used to prohibit ICMP at my network edge until I discovered the
virtues of CAR, allowing enough traffic for helpful testing but shutting
down sources who send too much too often.

Here is an example of how to use CAR on a Cisco router to control ICMP:
interface xy
 rate-limit output access-group 2020 3000000 512000 786000 conform-action
transmit exceed-action drop
access-list 2020 permit icmp any any echo-reply

If someone could point out how to achieve this kind of thing in IP
tables or using some other fancy package I'd be most grateful.