[TriLUG] linux/windoze Interoperability NOTE: 4 GB VFat filesize limit

Tom Woods tom at familyfunnies.com
Thu Jun 9 17:09:30 EDT 2005

You may know this already, but you can (and I do) tell ghost to split
the image up into bite (not byte) sized files when you create it.  I
typically break all of my ghost images into 690MB files just in case,
for some unknown reason, I need to burn it off to CDs (or a DVD if the
target system supports DVD).  Having said that, I try to keep my images
as small as possible, so I've never made a 34GB image.

ghost -split 690 -auto -z9

That's what I use when I am going to create a ghost image.  The -auto
makes it automatically change the file extention without asking for
filename confirmation.  The -z9 forces the highest level of file
compression.  If you've not been using -z9, and you're making 34GB
images, you may be pleasantly surprised in the end-result.

Hope this helps you.  If not, maybe someone else will benefit.

Tom Woods