[TriLUG] Moving user accounts

Michael Martin michael.the.martian at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 14:42:23 EDT 2005

Dave-

Sorry I don't have an answer for you as I am a newbie, but I do have a
question for you. What were your reasons for moving from FC2 to
CentOS? With the overwhelming number of distros, I'm alway curious
about how people make the big decision.

Thanks

later
-Michael

On 6/19/05, Dave Sorenson <dave at logicalgeek.com> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to move my server from Fedora core 2 to Cent OS. In
> preparation , I've installed a second hard drive, moved the home directories
> to it along with my mysql databases. I've copied /etc there as well to
> maintain a copy of all the configurations. I plan to remount the 2nd hard
> drive as /home after the OS upgrade
>
> My questions are, have I missed anything in the saving copies of stuff?
> And
> After I install Cent.. can I restore the existing users from /etc info?
>
> I only have 5 users and could just use adduser but I'm using this as a
> learning experiment.
>
> THANKS in advance!
>
> Dave S

"Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used
properly." -The Sixth Doctor, 'The Two Doctors'