[TriLUG] Mail server questions

Sam Folk-Williams sam.folkwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 20:15:10 EDT 2005

Lisa,

back up all the maildirs and mbox files into a tar archive before
doing anything else. Also keep in mind that you'll need to remove
sendmail when you install postfix. This is the tutorial where I first
learned this stuff, and I think it's excellent:

http://wiki.arslinux.com/Mail_Server_FAQ

Go through it before you start and see if it makes sense... it does a
good job of explaining things, rather than just telling you what to
type.

Good luck!

Sam

On 6/26/05, Lisa C Boyd <lcboyd at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
>
> >Is this a production server? If you can handle some downtime, this
> >would be a great opporunity to upgrade to postfix from sendmail --
> >much easier to configure and generally more secure.
> >
> It is a production server but seeing as how I've hosed it really is going to have some downtime anyway :) On F3 is it relatively easy to install postfix?
>
> >IIRC, dovecot has pretty minimal config options so I'd be curious what
> >kind of trouble it is giving you...
> >
> Dovecot at first was not letting other users read their mail. It would let me access things perfectly, but not other users and as far as I know, we were all setup the same (same kind of mailboxes, etc.). So I added their home directories into Dovecot's preferences to be accessed although it says in the config file this move is not the greatest of security moves.
>
> >Does this help at all?
> >
> What you said makes perfect sense. I'm thinking as long as there are some competent people on the list tonight I might just go ahead and make the move to postfix and courier :)
>

> My only concern right now is losing mail. Last Wednesday I download mb2md to translate all my mboxes to maildirs. Now I think I have both in my directory but when I tried to run it in another user's home directory as that user, it gave me an error saying it couldn't access *my* /var/spool/mail/file instead of the user's mail file. So I'm really kinda confused but it looks like I just need to back up and take it one step at a time.
>

> Stay tuned for more questions :)
>
> Lisa B.

Sam Folk-Williams
Linux+