[TriLUG] Directory structures.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Wed Jul 13 10:59:51 EDT 2005

Hi.

This is a long story e-mail.  The punchline question is this: anyone
have any good recommendations for directory structures/security
groupings for a shared directory that allows for ease of modification
and access?

If you'd like to know why I'm asking, please continue reading...

The exemplar systems in this query happen to be windows boxen, but the
question regarding structure and security are (I think) applicable to
just about every modern OS and work environment, so cut me some slack.

What I'm hoping for here is a couple of good stories.  Hopefully of the
form... "I did X (where X is some convoluted solution to the about to be
mentioned problem) and I'm now I've got a fast car, a beautiful wife, a
high paying job and a vacation house on the Riviera" but even "I did Y
and now ravening demons descended on me and my company, and I'm
destitute, forced to sell my body for Microsoft Client Access Licenses."
would be appreciated.

What I've got now...

I've got a server with a single shared drive.  At this level there is a
folder for every department in the company.  In each department is a
folder for each member of the department, and folders specific to that
department.

Now for the problem.  The users have been allowed to manage security and
creation of other folders in this structure themselves.

So, chaos has reigned.  And not the pretty chaos like Mandelbrot sets,
the ugly kind, like Ballmer doing the monkey dance.

We're getting ready to move to a new server.  (Sadly a 2003 box.  Almost
got a Linux box in there, but FUD ruled the day.)

So my question is this... anyone have any good recommendations for
directory structures/security groupings for a shared directory that
allows for ease of modification and access?

Happy for any input.  (except for beer recommendations.)

CJK