[TriLUG] X Transparency

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jul 20 08:56:46 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,
   Just trolling for some input on window transparency in X.  I've done
a bit of googling and seen some things that mention X.org as a
replacement to XFree86 in order to have the transparency feature.
Anyone have comments on x.org?  Is it going to be an enormous headache
to switch?

Here's my ultimate desire:
- Automatic transparency for background windows
- On-demand transparency for active windows.

Anybody have that already?  If so, how are you achieving it?

I'm running Debian Sarge, XFree86, and KDE.  I don't particularly want a
different distro or to switch from KDE.

TIA for the input!

Cheers,
~Brian