[TriLUG] LVM conversion?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Jul 20 17:12:12 EDT 2005

Hugh Crissman wrote:
> OK, after a couple of days I have to admit that LVM conversion is not
> going really well. I am not giving up but I am close. At this point I am
> reconsidering adding / to LVM. It is turning into quite a headache.
> Maybe /usr,/home,/var will be good enough.The major snag I am running
> into is getting the initrd script to load the lvm modules so that I can
> mount root and load the OS. Any ideas? After I change grub to look to
> the initrd that I created w/ "lvmcreate_initrd", grub loads and then
> nothing. No errors no nothing. It clearly is not loading the LVM
> modules. I am using Ubuntu 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel. I am almost certain LVM is
> compiled in, although I must admit, I have not explicitly checked. Any
> help is greatly appreciated.

I just built a custom Ubuntu kernel, so I think I might know what the
problem is.  The stock Ubuntu kernel needs an initrd to load the ide
modules.  I am guessing you probably just want to edit their initrd to
add the lines to load the lvm modules.  I believe the stock initrd is in
/usr/share/initrd/.

I built a vanilla kernel patched with Software Suspend for my
girlfriend's laptop.  I built it from the Ubuntu .config because I
didn't want anything that was already working to change.

LVM is very cool, and very useful.  Good luck with it.

Pat