[TriLUG] new project: networked video cameras

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:05:16 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Shane O'Donnell <shaneodonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by "front-end for the database"?
>
> DB administration?  Or GUI to present your pix, which you're storing
> in a database?
>
> BTW - the whole "pics in a database" isn't making a lot of sense to
> me, but hey -- your goofy project #45798...
>
> Shane O.

Yes, I have had my share of odd projects.  Okay, here is a bit more
detail (I'll blame the incoherence of my first post on me 1/2
listening to a conference call while typing).

The pictures themselves will not be going in database but they will be
stored on the drive.  Information about the picture, time of photo,
picture name, etc will be stored in a table on the database for easy
look, sorting, etc.

The "front end" I am looking for is not the PHP front-end rather, as
Shane put it, a GUI to present the pictures.

Axis has a product for this
(http://www.axis.com/products/cam_rec_software/index.htm) but it only
runs on Windows and costs over $600.00 (truly not much for a company,
but this could be recreated for much less money).  Axis also has a
video server, but it is costly as well.

So, in the end, I would like to use Linux/Motion/PHP/Apache/Mysql
(LAMMP, I suppose) with video incoming from several cameras.  The
missing ingredient at this point is the PHP application to display and
sort through the photos.

Greg