[TriLUG] SATA and Linux RAID

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 22 10:59:25 EDT 2005

It depends on your goal.  What are you trying to prevent here.  This is
the classic RAID vs backup scenario.  If you are trying to protect
against accidental file deletion, then a nightly rsync is better.
That's a backup solution.  If you are trying to protect from hardware
failure, then set up software RAID 1.  It's not hard to do.  Just check
out the Linux Software RAID HOWTO.  Many distributions allow you to set
it up easily during the install.  If the data is important, you really
need both.  So go with the software RAID, and look into an external
backup solution as well.

And I'd have to recommend linux software RAID over the RAID built into
many chipsets.  The software RAID is much easier to monitor, maintain,
and recover from.

Joel