[TriLUG] SATA and Linux RAID

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:05:23 EDT 2005

Also, my former employer uses USB hard drives for their backup solution. If
you're just lookign for a backup solution, that may prove to be a better
route than RAID.

WMM

On 7/22/05, Joel Ebel <jbebel at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> It depends on your goal. What are you trying to prevent here. This is
> the classic RAID vs backup scenario. If you are trying to protect
> against accidental file deletion, then a nightly rsync is better.
> That's a backup solution. If you are trying to protect from hardware
> failure, then set up software RAID 1. It's not hard to do. Just check
> out the Linux Software RAID HOWTO. Many distributions allow you to set
> it up easily during the install. If the data is important, you really
> need both. So go with the software RAID, and look into an external
> backup solution as well.
>
> And I'd have to recommend linux software RAID over the RAID built into
> many chipsets. The software RAID is much easier to monitor, maintain,
> and recover from.
>
> Joel
>
> Dean Price wrote:
> > I am preparing to build a Linux SMB file server
> >
> > the OS will go on the IDE drive
> > two 250GB SATA drives will be used for the data
> >
> > The shop this box is going into will be closed (no work) over night.
> >
> > My question is this
> >
> > Would it be best ( more effiecient ) to create a linux raid mirror with
> > the two drives.
> >
> > or
> >
> > set the drives up static (sda1 and sdb1) and create a cron job the will
> > dd sda to sdb.
> >
> > Thoughts and comments please.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős