[TriLUG] C & sockets programming question

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jul 27 20:43:19 EDT 2005

Rick> I don't claim to be an expert, but I think that there
Rick> is a basic misconception about the relationship
Rick> between sockets and interfaces here.  As I
Rick> understand it a socket represents an end point.
Rick> An interface is a connection to the outside.  ...

I have also been struggling with this concept for a while.

Sometimes, I would be using my wireless network adaptor
on my laptop.  During a large file download, I wanted to
unplug the wireless and plug in a much faster network
cable.  I never could get it to work, and it occurred to me
that when I brought the wireless interface down, I lost the
IP address that was at one endpoint of the connection.

I was confusing the endpoint with the interface.

If what you're saying is true, I should be able to leave both
interfaces up, and solve the traffic bottleneck by creating
some clever routes.

Specifically, I would have to create a route on my gateway
box that sends any traffic destined for my laptop through
the wired connection, even if there is a more straightforward
(but slower) route via the WLAN.

It looks like it's time for some more experiments!

Alan

.