[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:51:24 EDT 2005

I've been running AMD for several years, since switching from Cyrix
processors in the late 90's, and haven't had any problems with them. I've
personally owned 3 AMD-based systems, which have all been rock solid.

Shortly before I graduated from the 2-yr school I went to in NY in 01, they
upgraded almost every machine on campus to AMD Athlons, and they were far
more stable than the Intel machines had been, running the same OSes.

WMM

On 8/1/05, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone on the list has the same misfortune with AMD that I have
> had? Perhaps I am returning too quickly to the comfortable world of
> Intel.
>
> The opinion of the masses seem to be that, yes, I am the expection to
> the rule with the problems I have had with AMD processors. I would
> like to go the 64 bit route and I like dual core chips.
>
> I guess I am looking for an opinions. If price where not an issue
> would you build an AMD system or an Intel system. The OS I will
> likely use is Debian Sarge. The machine will be a server (i.e.
> doesn't need pretty graphics, will likely spent most of it's time
> chugging along at run level 3 in CLI mode). With this kind of system
> requirements in mind what would you build?
>
> Greg

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős