[TriLUG] BSD users?

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:59:40 EDT 2005

I'm writing this from a OSX machine that I use for work. I spend a lot
of time using a terminal session on it. From a 'user' point of view,
it's *NIX. You use a shell and ls, cd, mkdir, etc are used the same
and any *NIX user will feel right at home.

A 'sysadmin' would find the OSX CLI very different from *NIX. You
don't really admin an OSX machine from CLI. It's possible, but not
recommended. Files are in strange places. Some traditional files are
simply placeholders, the real configuration being elsewhere. You use
the OSX applications to admin the thing.

OSX is based on a BSD kernel, but it is very much it's own beast.

Ken