[TriLUG] web page display problem

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:06:45 EDT 2005

I have a faculty member who has created some web pages by exporting them
from Powerpoint version 9 according to the embedded meta tag in the html
file. The problem is that there is a high bit character, hex A0, in the
file (I had to use a hex editor to see what is there). When I serve this
from my server at
http://chemdept.chem.ncsu.edu/%7Efranzen/CH331/lecture/Lecture_1_files/v3_document.htm
the hex A0 is displayed as a question mark (just before the "L" in
Lecture 1). When the page is served up from
http://courses.ncsu.edu/ch331/lec/001/lecture/Lecture_1_files/v3_document.htm
the hex A0 is displayed as a blank.

Now I know that a hex A0 is not a valid character for a HTML file but
the faculty member wants my web server to display it the same way as
courses.ncsu.edu displays it, hex A0 and all. This is beyond my
understanding of web server configuration not to mention why does
powerpoint insert a non-valid character into a html file.

I am running apache 2.0.46 from httpd-2.0.46-46.2.ent on a RHEL 3 box.

Does anyone have any idea on how to configure apache to do something
magical with this high bit character?

Thanks.
glenn