[TriLUG] web page display problem

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 12:18:26 EDT 2005

I'm pretty sure the problem is to do with character encoding. The first
server you listed sends a Content-Type header of "text/html;
charset=UTF-8", whereas the second server sends just "text/html".
Firefox interprets the second one as having an encoding of "Western
(Windows-1252)", which is probably the correct encoding, hence the
question mark when viewed from the first server.

This may be of some use to you:

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

Otherwise, set AddDefaultCharset in your httpd.conf file for a global
change.

-- Owen