[TriLUG] OT: Amiable ping target

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 10:11:38 EDT 2005

FYI, here is a little keep-alive script I use for my shells outside $WORK
(so the session doesn't time out).  It should be a quick thing to modify
for your purpose:

#####

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;

my @hosts = (
    "yahoo.com",
    "google.com",
    "newsobserver.com",
);

while()
{
    my $items = scalar(@hosts);
    my $item  = int($items * rand());
    `ping -c 1 $hosts[$item]`;
    print ".";
    `sleep 20`;
}

#####

the my @hosts ... portion could easily be modified to read from a file as
follows:
1. install File::Slurp
2. add 'use File::Slurp;' after 'use strict;'
4. replace 'my @hosts = ( ... );' with the following snippet:

my @hosts = map { chomp($_); $_; } read_file("your_host_file.txt");

best of luck...