[TriLUG] OT: Amiable ping target

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Fri Aug 26 10:23:48 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:11:38AM -0400, William Sutton wrote:

> FYI, here is a little keep-alive script I use

Or, if you don't feel like reinventing the wheel:

fping (http://www.fping.com/): A more powerful ping command.  Can use a list
of hosts, eg: fping < hostlist.txt

sntop (http://sntop.sf.net/): Set up a config file (3 lines per host: short
name, ip/hostname, description) and it continually gives host status in
'top' style.  Can even produce HTML output.

Both are available as Debian packages (and thus likely Ubuntu as well).
I know you can get an RPM of fping.  Don't know about sntop.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5