[TriLUG] pppd and Cingular

Sean Hogston sean at hogston.com
Fri Sep 2 08:43:04 EDT 2005

I also have a verizon PC5220 pcmcia card and it works like a champ. I
was in Florida for a while and in range for the EVDO network and it was
like I was on a DSL connection. We even did some skype calls when it
dropped down to the 1x network and they were pretty good quality.

I do know that your phone needs to be EVDO capable though. I get a
letter about every month or so telling me there are new areas up for
EVDO and I have to update the software on the card. The list of EVDO
towers is somehow stored on the card. Unfortunatly this can only be done
on a windows machine so I have the software loaded on my wife's XP
laptop for that.

I would check to make sure your phone is EVDO capable and then see how
to update it so you can take advantage of the new EVDO areas.

O yea, I was able to get connected with gnome-ppp acording to the
instructions I found on some website. After I did that I tried running
the connection manually like I was originally and it works now. I really
hate it when you have to use a GUI to get something to work :)

Sean