[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:43:59 EDT 2005

On 9/6/05, ALFRED JOHNSON <alfjon at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Fixing hard drives by freezing them in your freezer dates back at
> least several decades that I'm aware of.  It is temporary of course
> and meant to help you recover the data on your hard disk. --- Al Johnson

But then, 20-25 years ago personally owned hard drives were pretty
rare beasts.  Back then a 5-10 MB drive cost in the thousands of
dollars.  I remember being very envious of a buddy back then who had
the first hard drive I'd seen outside of a business or university. It
was a 5MB Apple Profile for his Apple ][.

I'm amazed at how affordable peripherals have become, particularly
things like drives and scanners where they can't use the gillette*
business model like they can with printers.

*Give away the razor handle and sell the blades.