[TriLUG] AIX Samba to Active Directory

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Wed Sep 7 16:03:50 EDT 2005

Greetings all, I hate to be off-topic but I have a burning question, and
users are hot. Unfortunately my experience in this area is not totally
expert level.

I have an AIX machine with Samba. Not sure what version of either,
sorry. But I need its samba shares to be authenticating against an
active directory.

Currently, they are authenticating against an NT domain (Yech!), but I
am wondering if the change-over is really as simple as changing the
smb.conf file, or are there broader implications?

Also, will I have to create a new smb password file for the new username
that I'd be using to map to this samba share?

Currently, the upper section of my smb.conf file looks like this(Some
settings changed to protect the guilty):

   path = /usr/opt/freeware/apache/share/htdocs
   printing = aix
   printcap name = /usr/local/etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = yes
   workgroup = OLD_NT_DOMAIN
   interfaces = 666.666.666.666/255.255.255.0/127.0.0.1
   wins server = 666.666.666.666
   security = server
   password server = name_of_old_nt_domain_controller
   username map = /etc/smbusers
   os level = 0
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   log level = 1 #2
#   log file = /var/adm/log/log.%m  #use this one to create logs for
specific machines
   log file = /var/adm/log/log.smbd
   hosts allow = <a subnet>.
   hosts deny = ALL

Any info on this at all (Including some RTFM URLs) would be highly
appreciated. Thanks a million zillion in advance, assuming anybody
responds, TRILUG.

wab