[TriLUG] AIX Samba to Active Directory

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Sep 7 16:18:47 EDT 2005

on Wed, September 7, 2005 4:03 pm, Byarlay, Wayne A. said:
> Greetings all, I hate to be off-topic but I have a burning question,
> and
> users are hot. Unfortunately my experience in this area is not totally
> expert level.
>
> I have an AIX machine with Samba. Not sure what version of either,
> sorry. But I need its samba shares to be authenticating against an
> active directory.
>
> Currently, they are authenticating against an NT domain (Yech!), but I
> am wondering if the change-over is really as simple as changing the
> smb.conf file, or are there broader implications?
>
> Also, will I have to create a new smb password file for the new
> username
> that I'd be using to map to this samba share?
>
> Currently, the upper section of my smb.conf file looks like this(Some
 settings changed to protect the guilty):

>    path = /usr/opt/freeware/apache/share/htdocs
>    printing = aix
>    printcap name = /usr/local/etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    guest account = nobody
>    invalid users = root
>    preserve case = yes
>    case sensitive = yes
>    workgroup = OLD_NT_DOMAIN
>    interfaces = 666.666.666.666/255.255.255.0/127.0.0.1
>    wins server = 666.666.666.666
>    security = server
>    password server = name_of_old_nt_domain_controller
>    username map = /etc/smbusers
>    os level = 0
>    local master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    log level = 1 #2
> #   log file = /var/adm/log/log.%m  #use this one to create logs for
> specific machines
>    log file = /var/adm/log/log.smbd
>    hosts allow = <a subnet>.
>    hosts deny = ALL
>
> Any info on this at all (Including some RTFM URLs) would be highly
> appreciated. Thanks a million zillion in advance, assuming anybody
> responds, TRILUG.
>
> wab

Wayne,

Have a look at the samba docs, in particular the howto and samba by
example.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/

You will have the greatest success if you are on a later version on
samba 3 as the samba team has made more recent efforts with Samba and
AD.  You will have to get kerberos running.  Also there is a
smbusermap config variable that will allow you to specify a file to
due looksups from aix users to AD users.

I haven't had to auth to AD yet, but there are plenty of resources out
there on how to do it (although probably from linux not aix)

Matt P.