[TriLUG] Linux Screaming Media (was: Digital Audo Wkst...)

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 11 11:44:51 EDT 2005

Mark and all you audio/video guys:

What's up with the Audio and Video stuff for Linux? (I'm thinking
specifically about CCRMA and VLC.) The target Linux platforms are RH9
and Fedora Core. Does the stuff just work (without comment) on RHEL, or
is there a reason it's targeted only for RH9 and FC?

I need to build a streaming media server (something that'll ship out
video nicely) and VLC is only for RH9 and FC. For the scenario I would
be using the server in, RH9 and FC are right-out, RHEL is what I need
(well, CentOS) and none of these tools seem to run on RHEL/CentOS? Is it
worth the time to experiment and try it out? (I dread that)

The expected path to take is the Dark Side (XP) but I'd rather do this
with Gentoo or CentOS: the server has to hang out on the public 'net so
I want to strip it down to nothing. There's VLC for Gentoo out there,
but I'd like to experiment at home first with CentOS. Thoughts?

Anyone out there got a media server on the net that they can talk about?

JKB