[TriLUG] Linux Screaming Media (was: Digital Audo Wkst...)

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sun Sep 11 13:38:48 EDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:44:51AM -0400, James Brigman wrote:
> Mark and all you audio/video guys:
>
> What's up with the Audio and Video stuff for Linux? (I'm thinking
> specifically about CCRMA and VLC.) The target Linux platforms are RH9
> and Fedora Core. Does the stuff just work (without comment) on RHEL, or
> is there a reason it's targeted only for RH9 and FC?
>
> I need to build a streaming media server (something that'll ship out
> video nicely) and VLC is only for RH9 and FC. For the scenario I would
> be using the server in, RH9 and FC are right-out, RHEL is what I need
> (well, CentOS) and none of these tools seem to run on RHEL/CentOS? Is it
> worth the time to experiment and try it out? (I dread that)
>
> The expected path to take is the Dark Side (XP) but I'd rather do this
> with Gentoo or CentOS: the server has to hang out on the public 'net so
> I want to strip it down to nothing. There's VLC for Gentoo out there,
> but I'd like to experiment at home first with CentOS. Thoughts?
>
> Anyone out there got a media server on the net that they can talk about?
>
> JKB

Practically anything for FC will work in RHEL with a simple recompile of
the source rpm.  FC is a general testbed for RHEL (among other things).
Download the .src.rpm for the package, install it, edit the .spec file
and rebuild the .rpm.   Should work without much hassle.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'
RHCT                   U