[TriLUG] Linux Screaming Media (was: Digital Audo Wkst...)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 13:41:29 EDT 2005

On 9/11/05, James Brigman <jbrigman at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark and all you audio/video guys:
>
> What's up with the Audio and Video stuff for Linux? (I'm thinking
> specifically about CCRMA and VLC.) The target Linux platforms are RH9
> and Fedora Core. Does the stuff just work (without comment) on RHEL, or
> is there a reason it's targeted only for RH9 and FC?
>
> I need to build a streaming media server (something that'll ship out
> video nicely) and VLC is only for RH9 and FC. For the scenario I would
> be using the server in, RH9 and FC are right-out, RHEL is what I need
> (well, CentOS) and none of these tools seem to run on RHEL/CentOS? Is it
> worth the time to experiment and try it out? (I dread that)

Well looking at the videolan website, it seems that they are now no
longer doing builds for Red Hat but that the Fedora Core builds "work
pretty good(sic) on Red Hat as well."  So you might just try the FC
packages.  Note that even these are unofficial according to videolan.

On the other hand, you might just want to compile from source. After
all that's why it's called open SOURCE software.