[TriLUG] Linux Screaming Media (was: Digital Audo Wkst...)

Mark Shuford mark at tmhco.com
Sun Sep 11 16:50:35 EDT 2005

I've not dealt with stuff from the Media Server perspective... hell, I
still listen to vinyl. (One of these days....) And haven't fiddled w/
video at all. CCRMA does also have a package of video apps, which I have
not installed.

As far as Audio Production is concerned: The big sticking point is a
Real Time system. CCRMA has a couple of different kernels with differing
RT elements enabled.

I started using the stuff on RH 8 because at the time it did not work
well at all on RH 9 or any of the FCs... and I did try... about a week
and a half's worth.
So as far as Audio Recording and Production, I don't think I'd go w/ a
RHEL system. Unless you want to find and apply and tweak all the kernel
patches and modules for RHEL, which work has already been done for the
RHs and FCs. But there's no reason it shouldn't be possible.

And the usual answer... It Depends! on just what you are doing.

Mark

PS - If you're really getting into serious production work I suggest
that, at the least, you have your data kept on removable media to manage
projects. Get a removable try system you can slap IDE drives into. And
if you're doing lot's of tracks at the same time (not necessarily
mix-down, that can be done non-real-time) but monitoring and such then
the best performance Hard Drive system you can put together is
desirable. If you're using lots of effect then you want mucho CPU power.

I've not gotten there yet but plan to get fast RAID for tracking and
keep using the removable to 'bounce down' to for backup and project
segregation.

--
Mark Shuford