[TriLUG] OT: Two questions about this...

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 15 15:28:56 EDT 2005

Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:

> The original series version has a complete circuit diagram for the
> communicator... unfortunately I don't know quite enough about
> electronics to really figure if it's a real radio circuit or not... it's
> certainly plenty complex though.

I've still got a copy.

It was a 70's era walkie-talkie circuit with multiple channel
selector.  It would not have functioned as our beloved
communicator, however, because it had none of the
features apparent from the series, i.e. there was no
'ringing' circuitry, no 'hands-free" capability (strictly
push-to-talk), not even a squelch.  And rather vulnerable
to evesdropping, I presume. Not the sort of thing you'd
want to be passing tactical orders over with Klingon
on the prowl.

Innovation is a wildflower. You cannot choose where it will blossom; you can only choose where it will not.