[TriLUG] Hard drive advice

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:48:28 EDT 2005

You will likely start a significant argument over different people's
experiences with different brands of drives, and everyone's experiences
will vary wildly.  The truth is that with any new drive you purchase,
especially large ones, it hasn't been around long enough to have good
reliability data.  If performance is what you are interested in, then
consider the Maxtor Maxline III.  It comes in a 300 GB version, and has
a 16 MB buffer.  It comes in SATA and PATA interfaces, so make sure you
get the right one.  It also comes with a 5 year warranty, something many
people will cite as a benefit of the Seagate drives, but for this line
of Maxtors you get it too.  I've been using a Maxline Plus II for a
while now and it has performed quite well and without errors.  But as
for any critical data, you should consider RAID and backups crucial.

Joel