[TriLUG] samba printing.. ugh

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Sep 26 12:57:19 EDT 2005

Okay.  I got rid of the "Access denied, unable to connect" by turning on
"writeable = yes" in the smb config (through the help of webmin).

So now Windows seems to merrily throw documents at the share....but
nothing happens.  As far as I can tell, the documents just vanish.

Here's what else I've done:
I created a "null device" printer in CUPS to match the share; this got
rid of the "client-error-not-found" messages in Samba.  But I'm afraid
that somehow CUPS is stepping in and shuffling my documents off to the
null device before Samba comes along with its print command =
/usr/share/pdfconvert %s ...  I'm not seeing any files show up where I
expect them.

So I deleted the CUPS printer and I'm back to "client-error-not-found".

Curiously, in the Printers and Faxes explorer window, I see "Ready" by
the printer...however, when I open it to view the queue, the queue's
title bar says "Access denied, unable to connect"...

Anybody have more suggestions?  Nothing I've read so far has even
mentioned anything about CUPS..  just a Samba trick and nothing else.

Here's the latest version of the Samba juicy bits:

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[pdflabels]
         postscript = yes
         printable = yes
         print command = /usr/share/pdfconvert %s
         writeable = yes
         path = /tmp
         create mask = 0744
         comment = Prints to a PDF file on mail-serv

Thanks,
~Brian