[TriLUG] Proposal for TriLUG List

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:35:53 EDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote:
> we've discussed this before (more than once in fact) and have come to
> the conclusion that the benefits of enabling topics in mailman do not
> offer any significant benefits that can not be achieved in other ways
> (procmail/sieve rules, client filtering, etc).  adding another "feature"
> to a system that is currently without a sysadmin is not something i'm
> willing to endorse at this point in time.  once the sysadmin role is
> established we'll reopen the idea for consideration on the SC.

Actually, Jason, to my knowledge, we have never discussed
enabling topics in mailman.  But, this brings up another good
point.  One thing I have always emphasized is that the
Steering Committee should *NOT* have to do everything.
This is a volunteer organization and we have lots of
potential volunteers, so why don't we make use of them?
There's absolutely no reason why this should wait on installing
someone as the TriLUG sys admin.  I even already volunteered
to do it all and maintain it, and Jon Carnes, who has been
a mailman topic opponent for as long as I can remember
(Hi Jon! :-) endorses it.  This is something concrete that
can be done today rather than some time in the future.
It would allow those who want to to filter things out easily
without having to learn procmail/sieve/etc and wouldn't
impact those who didn't at all.  We can't just hold everything
back while we wait for next month's meeting *and* then
for the SC to decide who gets to be sysadmin.

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com