[TriLUG] Proposal for TriLUG List

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 23:46:20 EDT 2005

Kevin Sonney wrote:

> Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> |>this has also been discussed (again, more than once), and we decided
> |>aginst it because we did want the trilug mailing list to "splinter".
> |
> | Was this a Steering Committe discussion or a main mailing list
> discussion or
> | something discussed at a meeting? I ask only because I don't recall the
> | discussion...
>
> If I may break out my old-man syndrome, the idea of splitting the lists
> has come up multiple times over the years trilug has been in existence.
> After careful consideration, we shot it down when I was chair because of
> the effect it had on other groups - effectively splintering the groups,
> the discussions, and the effectiveness of the group.

Yes, but with all due respect, I would argue that "we've
always done it this way" is not a valid justification for
doing something a certain way.  It reminds me of my years in
the fire service when we used to joke "The fire service, 200
years of tradition, unimpeded by progress."

> In the end, we did try it for a while, and in the mailing lists created
> for the subcommittees/interests withered and died in favor of the main
> list.

As I recall, we had several fairly specialized sub-topic
lists: rhce, dev, and hosting. What I am suggesting (or
rather, the suggestion I'm backing) is one big catch-all
list for everything non Linux / Computer / Free Software
related: music, politics, reality TV, "hey, anybody want to
go clubbing this weekend?" messages, etc...  stuff that
members of this community might want to share with each
other, but that is clearly way OT for the main list.

> For TriLUG, one list and good etiquette   seems to work. And I agree
> that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I can only re-iterate what I said before, about Tri-LUG
being more than just a LUG.  The members of Tri-LUG also
form a community of members with common interests, but some
of those interests are going to extend beyond the core of
linux / computers / free-software. So as things stand now,
"we" (this community) have no convenient channel to have
"social" discussions...  yes, we could go to another list
like Internetworkers, but it's just not quite the same: a
lot of the membershp of the two lists overlap, but it still
feels like two distinct communities (well, to me anyway).

Anyway, it's just a suggestion... nothing anybody is going
to lose sleep over one way or another I guess.

TTYL,

Phil
--
North Carolina - First In Freedom