[TriLUG] preferential traffic shaping

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Oct 3 11:20:23 EDT 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Alan Porter wrote:

> I would like to run bittorrent "in the background", so that it
> uses idle bandwidth, but so that it yields whenever anything
> else is going on.
>
> "tc" seems to be the tool to do this, but its notation is very
> complex.  I have also played with "tcng", which has an easier
> syntax (it generates tc commands).

I've seen these things demonstrated at OLS and the traffic
prioritising got the audience to burst into applause.
Unfortunately all of it, other than the results went over my
head. "Wonder shaper" is supposed to encapsulate all of the
syntax nastiness for you, but I found the syntax also a
little difficult. You need to know your pipe's capacity up
front (it limits by packets/sec, rather than a percentage)
and getting this right is an iterative process. I didn't
have a large amount of time to spend on it and I was never
convinced I'd got it right.

Joe